Thursday, February 12, 2009

Competition Time

Creative Commons License
This work by Suzette Leeming is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.

Ah, spring is in the air!! And with spring comes the Spring Conference for Toastmasters. This year it's being held in Burlington.

Every year I enter the Humorous Speech Contest in the fall, but this will be the first time I enter the International Speech contest. I've decided I've run out of humourous topics - the last one I did was on the funny side of menopause. Everything in life is a learning experience, right? Well, I learned that what I think is funny about menopause, scares the crap out of everyone else. I can't quite describe the feeling when, halfway through my speech I looked out at the audience and realized I had terrorized them! I found that fact quite funny actually, but I didn't even come close to winning! That's okay though - I learned the importance of knowing your audience!

So, here I am trying for the international contest. It doesn't matter if I win or not - it's all just an exercise to see what works. The problem is what I find interesting or inspirational, probably isn't for most people, but we'll see how it goes.

Win or lose, I'll still get something good out of it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Creative Commons License
This work by Suzette Leeming is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License.

No comments: