Friday, February 1, 2008

Bell Mobility

Do you ever have the feeling that it takes a long time to learn a lesson? Well, I had that feeling today. Almost five years ago, I got cellphones for my husband and me over the phone. It was a 2 for 1 special. I wrote down all the details - such as a 24 month term. After a few months I noticed my invoice said 3 months. I won't go through all that transpired, but in the end, I had to complain to the CRTC about Bell's false advertising. A deal is a deal, right?

Anyway, we've been unhappy with our phones for the past year and the time has come to update and move to Rogers (CDMA vs GSM). When I called to cancel Bell, they kept offering me more and more, until finally I decided I at least owed it to them to look at their phones. They offered me a cheaper plan, $250 per phone towards a new phone, a 2 year term, and 10% off the top of the plan.

Tonight we went to the Bell World store in Keswick. Turns out they really DON'T have GSM phones - just the Blackberry. The person there looked up my file, and the really was $250 on a 3 year term or $150 on a 2 year term. There was no mention of needing to sign a contract in the earlier conversation. AND, if the phones don't get a good enough signal, I can return them in 15 days or 15 minutes of use for a refund on the phones, but I'd still be locked into the contract.

But as I write this, I have to ask myself - whose fault is this? My earlier dealings with Bell had shown me their character, but I guess I really wanted to believe they had changed and didn't stoop to lying and misleading anymore. I was wrong.

I've heard that Bell Mobility is the most expensive provider and I don't mind paying a premium, but it seems Bell has become as sleezy as the competition.

Good riddance - I've decided to sign up with Rogers, through Amritech Rogers Wireless. I might even be able to use it, as I'm told it gets a better signal than Bell (kind of like comparing Cable Internet vs. DSL). I've even considered changing my internet - I should be getting at least 3X the speed at the price I'm paying Sympatico. Then I need to check and see about getting a digital home phone.

Farewell, Bell!

No comments: