Thursday, May 1, 2008

What if...

Toastmasters changes lives. I heard this phrase quite a bit when I first joined Toastmasters, but I have to admit... I didn't believe it. Oh sure, it was something worthwhile doing, sort of an educational/social/volunteering kind of thing, but changing lives?? A stretch... or so I thought.

Then I attended the Toastmasters District 60 Conference held a few weeks ago at the Sheraton Conference Centre on Hwy. 7 and Leslie. This was a last minute decision for me, as I tend to avoid large crowds, especially conference-wise. I worry that someone will try to talk to me and I'll be forced to chit-chat and I'm not good at that. I'll either babble on about myself, create a social faux-pas, or make a fool out of myself somehow. So, I attended the conference reluctantly, but that's getting off-track. I listened to some of the most inspiring, insightful speeches, and heard people talking about what they have achieved in life as a result of what they learned in Toastmasters. By the end of the conference, I'd come to the realization that... wait for it!!! TOASTMASTERS CHANGES LIVES! Will it change mine? I don't know or expect that, but what if?

And, as the current VP Public Relations, I would be remiss if I didn't get this plug in...

Simcoe Shores Toastmasters, of Georgina Ontario, meets on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays of each month at the Belhaven Hall, on Warden Avenue, just north of Old Homestead, from 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. We welcome guests and you owe it to yourself to come and see what Toastmasters is all about. And ask yourself... What if?

Simcoe Shores Toastmasters website

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate what they have done for breakfast foods, but I can't say that it has changed my life.

Suzette said...

You're funny! That's a novel way of pointing out that I never really explained what Toastmasters is! Point taken!