Wednesday, April 9, 2008

TomTom and Garmin Lose Their Way

An article today in the Technology section of Business Week outlines the difficulties currently faced by GPS/Navigation devices.

Among my family and friends, I tend to be known as the gadget queen. If there's a gadget out there, chances are I have it. I even have a wireless glove, connected by USB, that I can use on my PC similar to a mouse. When playing solitaire, I can just point at the card I want and drag it to where I want it. It would also be neat with role playing games... "Okay - I want to move these guys from over here to over there... prepare to do battle". Neat. You may notice I said "can use" which is not to imply that I do use it. Other than testing it out, I have never actually used it.

In the kitchen, I have almost every gadget designed to save time. Three types of cheese graters, automatic apple/potato peelers, automatic slicers, plastic wrap dispensers, powered wine cork removers, egg slicers, etc. I've got a pasta maker, waffle maker, dough maker, and so on. I'm running out of room to put my gadgets.

But I don't have a GPS - a fact that surprises people that know me. You see, a GPS is a portable device, and there's only so many things I can fit in my purse. I have my cell phone, and my PDA and already that's too much. Also, the good GPS devices seem to be several hundred dollars and I don't want to buy a piece of crap just because it's cheap.

I believe for a new technology to be effective, it needs to be (a) affordable and (b) convenient. So what I want is a GPS device that keeps a charge for close to a month and I don't want to pay more than $150.

I've looked for some type of GPS software for the PDA, but I need to do a lot more research, and quite frankly I don't have time. I have a plan though... when I need to update my cell phone, I will get one with a PDA and GPS device built in. That will be a couple of years from now and by then the prices will be cheaper. Until then I just have to look up my routes on an old-fashioned map or print out directions from mapquest or google maps before I set off.

Maybe the gadget queen is getting old (and cheap).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We bought the Magellin for about $300. It was cheaper than and had better features than the Garmin at the time. I feel that it paid for itself on the first out of town trip we used it. It has also shown me many faster in-town routes than some of the ones I had just assumed were the fastest.

We bought the slim model. It fist in any pocket and even stores easily and out-of-sight in the car. Many new cars come with GPS built in now. I won't get another car without it.

Anonymous said...

The benefit of a GPS built into a car is that it is easily viewed while driving. Scrren size is a big plus. I'm not sure that a cellphone GPS would be as useful because of this and might be better for hiking.

Anonymous said...

PS ... Debbie says you can keep your breadmaker at our house.

Suzette said...

I didn't even mention my breadmaker, although that's a gadget too. I'm surprised Debbie doesn't have one - it's really good for making pizza dough as well.

Suzette said...

Re-reading old posts and comments and a question came to mind. You said you wouldn't get another car without a built in GPS. Does your newest car have a GPS? Just curious.