Thursday, April 3, 2008

All GM Dealers are NOT the Same!

I remember when I first purchased my new 2002 Pontiac Montana minivan from Slessor Motors in Newmarket. The first time I had to take it in for service, I parked at side of the building and walked into the service department. The women behind the desk referred me to the service advisor. I went out to speak with him, and he yelled at me! It seems I was supposed to pull the van up to the door, which would open for me to drive in. Welllll, excuuuuuse me! How was I supposed to know that?

The van died in 2007, seven months before my payments were finished. Thanks GM. After replacing the Intake Manifold and two cracked cylinder heads, I dumped that piece of crap as fast as I could, borrowed a friend's car until my payments on the Montana were finished, and then went shopping for a used car.

I swore I wouldn't buy another GM product again, but I couldn't help it - I grew up with GMs and no other type "feels" right. So I bought a 2001 Cadillac Catera. Was it a mistake? Time will tell. Meanwhile, I really do love the car.

Last week, my low coolant light came on. I checked and the coolant level is fine. So I brought it into Colonial Chev Olds in Newmarket for diagnosis and service (even though Slessor Motors is the Cadillac dealer in Newmarket). What a difference! The doors were opened as soon as I pulled up (which never happened at Slessor), nobody yelled at me; they even gave me a shuttle lift to the mall and then came to pick me up after. The sensor needs replacing. The sensor is connected to the overflow reservoir, so the whole thing needs to be replaced. $340 - ouch! No matter. It's not that important a part, but still worth replacing.

So they have ordered the part in, and here I am, sitting at one of their computers (they call it their internet cafe, but there's really just one computer), posting on my blog. Sweet! The service advisor (Ryan) is extremely polite, respectful and well, nice.I don't mind getting my oil changes or other minor work done at a local garage, but let's face it - nobody knows a car as well as a dealer. They're specially trained in servicing GM vehicles. Yes, it's more money, but I think it's worth it to have something done right. The service manager at my local Canadian Tire came from Golden Mile Chevrolet - which is where my father bought all his cars when they lived in the city, so I trust him to know GMs, but a dealer is the best place to go if you have a car with lots of options/features on it.

Especially when you have a dealer that treats you well!

No comments: